Sunday, March 13, 2011

I just did 600 pushups!!

That's right.  600!
I know what you're saying.  "Wow, you must be incredibly strong."  I am in pretty good shape, but it was not my brute strength that did it.  It was dedication, repetition and perseverance.


Actually the title of this post is misleading.  I wrote this post while completing my 600.  By the way, I am on 280 at the moment.  290, 300...


You see, I am doing my 600 pushups over a 1 hour period of time.  Completing 10 pushups every minute.  This gave me about 40 to 50 seconds of rest between each set of 10.


380, 390, 400...


I got the idea to do this from two martial artists named Aaron and Jon Knapp.  Aaron and Jon have a website called Bad Martial Arts.


Here is an explanation on the title of their website styled in their own words, "The "Bad" in Bad Martial Arts extends from the tradition of Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy and Ben Goldacre's Bad Science web sites.".  Aaron and Jon's website explores misconceptions, and myths about the martial arts.  Their website is a practical look at martial arts, using critical thinking. It is also a good read with very interesting observations and anecdotes.  


480, 490, 500...


I would bet that a lot of people look at the abilities of a martial artist and assume that they are born with it.  Sure they have trained, but the belief is that there is some genetic advantage, or god given gift that made the training possible.  The truth is never that simple.  The martial arts takes practice and dedication, and almost anyone can benefit from the discipline training imparts to the student.


580, 590, 600!!


Hard work and commitment are worth their weight in gold.  Martial Arts is like this, and by extension life.  The more you work at something the better you get.  So whatever it is you do.  Or makes you happy.  Pursue it with conviction.  Follow it with purpose.  You will be better for it.


I plan on taking my own advice.  Okay, now on to my 600 crunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment